Aerospace Discovery Weekend
Oct 21, 2016
- Oct 23, 2016
SUN ‘n FUN and the Aerospace Center for Excellence (ACE) will host the campus’ annual Aerospace Discovery Weekend, a three-day aerospace adventure complete with a flight opportunity.
This year, ACE will offer $10.00 admission to Saturday participants. Activities throughout the day include, but aren’t limited to:
- A flight opportunity to anyone ages 8-17 who registers for the event before October 14
- Design and launch a rocket
- Flight simulator experience
- Solar and Stellar Exploration
- Admission to the Official Aviation Museum in the State of Florida- Aerospace Discovery at the Florida Air Museum
- Food Trucks will be available during the event
Aerospace Discovery Weekend is an educational event full of activities that introduce kids to all aspects of aviation. Activities including wing rib building (engineering), rocketry, meeting an astronaut, and a flight opportunity.
On Saturday evening at 7:00 p.m., guests will have the opportunity to hear Astronaut, Greg Johnson speak. Johnson graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1984, and flew in 34 combat missions in Operation Desert Storm. Johnson served as the pilot on Space Shuttle Endeavor in the STS-123 mission to space. He also piloted the shuttle's last mission in May of 2011. Among his numerous awards, Johnson received the 2012 NASA Exceptional Service Medal as well as the award for the Top U.S. Air Force Test Pilot.