La Francophonie Day Celebration
Mar 23, 2019
12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Join Polk Museum of Art in paying tribute the 300 million French speakers living on five continents. This free half-day program features a Degas Exhibition Curator Talk & Tour; Paris, Montreal and Port-au-Prince landscape painting for children and adults; French dance, music, singing, and poetry performances by Florida Dance Theater, Florida Southern College and Polk State College French students; and the Pearl of Nation Creole dance and singing troupe.
Schedule of Events
- 12:00 p.m. Florida Southern College Woodwind Quintet Performance
- 12:15 p.m. Opening Ceremony & Proclamation Presentation to French Dignitaries
- 12:40 p.m. Edgar Degas: The Private Impressionist Curator Tour
- 1:40 p.m. Polk State College Pearl of Nation Haitian Creole Dance & Poetry Performance
- 2:10 p.m. Florida Southern Symphony Orchestra Performance
- 2:30 p.m. Edgar Degas: The Private Impressionist Curator Tour
- 2:40 p.m. Polk State College French Literary & Poetry Performance
- 3:10 p.m. Florida Southern Voice/Opera Program & Music Department Performances
- 3:30 p.m. Edgar Degas: The Private Impressionist Curator Tour
- 3:40 p.m. Florida Dance Theatre Performance
- Ongoing Hands-on Art Activities for All Ages and Abilities - Participants will create an observational pastel painting of a 3-D Eiffel Tower or a 2-D landscape image of France, Canada, Haiti, Belgium, or Switzerland.
Various French specialty cuisine will be available to purchase.
Dignitaries attending the La Francophonie Day Celebration include the consul general of France in Miami, the France Florida Foundation for the Arts president, the consul general of Canada in Miami, the honorary consul of Belgium in Miami, and the honorary French consuls of Orlando and Tampa.
Polk Museum of Art at Florida Southern College in Lakeland is open Tuesday - Sunday. Admission to this Central Florida museum is always free thanks to generous sponsors.