Located just 10-miles from LEGOLAND Florida Resort, the Grove House has something for everyone. Spend time walking through indoor exhibits while learning about Polk County’s citrus industry and enjoy a theater presentation about Florida’s Natural during, “We own the land, the trees, and the company®.”
When rain keeps your family inside during a Central Florida vacation, it can be hard to keep young kids entertained. Luckily we have great children’s museums and exhibits, as well as workshops and activities to keep your favorite young people busy.
Florida’s Natural Grove House
Florida’s Natural Grove House hosts special events every Wednesday and Saturday from Noon – 2:00 p.m., October - May. These FREE events include citrus-themed fun, workshops, guest speakers, tastings and more – all for everyone ages 10 and up.
October 2016 (Registration Opens October 3)
5th: A Taste of the Grove House
12th: Agriculture Day -
19th: DIY Centerpieces
26th: Glass Painting Workshop
Wednesday events are led by an instructor and start promptly at noon. Please RSVP by emailing the Grove House at GroveHouse@Citrusworld.com or by calling 863-679-4110.
May 7: Sample Grove House favorites
May 14: Decorate a sugar cookie
May 21: Learn new recipes
May 28: Make your own bug repellent
Saturday events are self-guided. Drop-ins are welcome.
Florida’s Natural Growers Grove House is located at 20160 Highway 27 in Lake Wales.
Explorations V Children’s Museum
Downtown Lakeland’s Explorations V Children’s Museum has been winning awards since opening in 1991. This museum offers three-floors of kid-powered interactive exhibits and programs that explore the five-senses, which is where the name Explorations V comes from.
Exhibits and workshops are developed for toddlers and kids up to nine years old.
Sample Permanent Exhibits
- Fill a pint-sized grocery buggy just like Mom and Dad, operate a cash register and merchandise scanner, or even stock grocery shelves at Explore Store.
- Broadcast the news or current weather forecast at News Station.
- Build, tinker and create with rotating materials at Maker Space.
- Sing, dance and perform on stage in the theatre.
Explorations V hosts daily workshops, Monday – Friday and each day has a different topic. Kids can learn to weave ribbon during Art Studio, make S’more stuffed crescent rolls during Kitchen Kids, or learn about polar water animals during Celebrate Science.
You can find their complete schedule at explorationsv.com/calendar.
Explorations V Children’s Museum is located at 109 North Kentucky Avenue in Lakeland.
Mulberry Phosphate Museum
Do you have a miniature Indiana Jones in your family? If so, be sure to visit Mulberry Phosphate Museum which is located just one block south of State Highway 60 in downtown Mulberry.
- In the Phosphate Gallery visitors will learn where phosphate is found, how it’s mined and processed, and how it’s used in our everyday lives.
- The Historic Railroad Gallery displays historic photos and information on the City of Mulberry, Polk County and the railroad industry as related to the phosphate industry.
- The Fossil Gallery houses an extensive prehistoric fossil collection.
- Try your luck at finding shark teeth and other prehistoric animal remains in the museum’s outdoor exhibit (if the rain has subsided) that includes a 44-yard dragline bucket once used to dig phosphate rock out of the ground.
Additional exhibits allow visitors to learn about the American Alligator, Miocene Rhino, Giant Ground Sloth and the Smilodon.
Admission Mulberry Phosphate Museum is FREE and donations are gladly accepted. The museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and special events are hosted regularly. Call 863-425-2823 for more information.
Mulberry Phosphate Museum is located at 101 S.E. 1st Street in Mulberry.