Rivaling the African savanna, the dramatic, 260-acre landscape of Safari Wilderness sets the scene for an unforgettable, family adventure. Located in Lakeland, this family-owned, working game ranch offers an up-close encounter with herds of roaming exotic animals—without the crowds and lines found at theme parks and zoos.
New this summer, Safari Wilderness will be introducing a Young Explorers’ Safari, a great way for both young children and the young at heart to learn about a variety of species and some of their special features.
Young Explorers’ Safari
Young Explorers’ Safari will be a great way for both young children and the young at heart to learn about a variety of species and some of their special features. During a 45-minute guided vehicle tour, the small group of adventurers will meet a variety of large hooved animals such as zebra, water buffalo, llamas, watusi cattle and barasingha deer.
This tour will be followed by a short walking tour to meet smaller species, including ring-tailed lemurs, red-ruffed lemurs, coatis, kune kune pigs and more. Select hand feedings will also be available. Pricing is $39.00 per person. This limited-time offering is available at 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. on select Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons, starting May 25 through August 12.
Back by popular demand, Safari Wilderness’ Sunset Safaris will be offered on select Friday and Saturday evenings during the months of June, July and August. During this exclusive experience, adventurers will enjoy close-up encounters with zebra, camels, ring-tailed and red-ruffed lemurs, nilgai, watusi cattle and more unique and endangered species in large herds.
The Sunset Safari provides an opportunity to see these magnificent animals at a time of day when they are most active. All Sunset Safaris include a stop at the Tree House. This peaceful deck in the middle of our 260-acre preserve provides a 360-degree treetop panoramic view. While there, guests will have a chance to star gaze on the savanna while enjoying complimentary non-alcoholic beverages. Pricing is $135 per person.
Either of the above seasonal experiences can be extended with the following add-on activities:
- Lemur feeding – Enter the Ring-tailed Lemur habitat with a guide and hand feed grapes to a troop of playful and polite Prosimians. This “guest favorite” is in high demand and limited to a few participants per day.
- Coati Encounter – Get hands on and interact with one of these adorable creatures for a once-in-a-lifetime experience!
Available exclusively for Young Explorers are the following add-on activities:
- Budgie feeding – Enter an outdoor aviary with a guide and feed up to 200 beautiful Budgie Parakeets. These colorful, sweet and playful creatures will land to eat seed straight out of a willing hand.
- Guinea pig feeding – Guinea pigs live in colonies, which are fascinating to experience. The whole colony greets guests with excited whistling in anticipation of being fed.
Available exclusively following Sunset Safaris:
- Nilgai Encounter – For guests who add on the Nilgai encounter, which is only available during Sunset Safaris, there will be an opportunity to interact with and feed the largest antelope in all of Asia.
Online Booking - Reservations Required
Advance reservations are required. Tours are held rain or shine. Parking is $7.00 per car. For online reservations visit http://safariwilderness.com or call (813) 382-2120.