The town of Frostproof is just 18.92-square miles, nestled between Lake Clinch and Lake Reedy. Most of the places we mention below (except the outdoorsy stuff, of course) are just a few blocks from each other downtown.
Sitting along Central Florida’s Scenic Highway is Frostproof, just south of Babson Park. You can find amazing milkshakes, great sandwiches, unique hamburgers and many outdoor recreation opportunities.
Our 12 Things To Do in Frostproof
- Enjoy a piece of Frostproof’s fascinating history when you visit the Frostproof Historical Museum. Be sure to request a tour.
- Enjoy a secluded hike to Lake Godwin in the Walk-in-the-Water Tract of the Lake Wales Ridge State Forest. All total, the state forest covers 26,579 acres including 50 miles of hiking trails and provides habitat for 24 plants and 19 animals currently having federal or state status as threatened or endangered.
- Stop by Frostbite Ice Cream and More for one of the best old-fashioned milkshakes you’ll ever have. Our favorites include Peanut Butter, Strawberry and Mint Chocolate Chip. Frostbite also serves up DELICIOUS hamburgers.
- For a true taste of Historic Polk County, take in a murder-mystery dinner or concert at the Ramon Theater. The theater hosts many live performances throughout the year.
- If you prefer a short walk, Hickory Lake Scrub is the place for you. Two marked trails allow visitors to experience and learn about the habitat with its ancient scrub, lake shore, oak hammock, flatwoods and wetlands.
- Have you ever added coleslaw to your hamburger? It’s YUMMY and P & J Recreation has been serving up the best slaw burgers in Central Florida since 1943. Insider Tip: These aren’t the biggest burgers in the county, so be sure to order two.
- Launch your canoe or kayak into Reedy Creek. Beware – this is a wild creek and you may have to maneuver around obstacles and floating vegetation. Don’t forget the sunscreen!
- If you can’t tell, we REALLY love eating our way through Frostproof as often as possible. Another Local Favorite is Roscoe Panini Pasta and Pizza Tavern. If reading Turkey Panini with Pesto and Brie makes your stomach grumble and mouth water, this is the place for you.
- Catch a trophy large-mouth bass at nationally known Lake Walk in Water, AKA Lake Weohyakapka. This 7,000-acre lake also produces nice catches of black crappie.
- Camp under the stars at Lake Arbuckle Park and Campground, one of our five county managed campgrounds.
- Take a walk down memory lane and see classic and antique cars along with nostalgia and many other antique items at O'Hara Restorations.
- Search for scrub-jays, short-tailed hawks, and bald eagles on the Great Florida Birding Trail while hiking through the Walk-in-the-Water Tract of the Lake Wales Ridge State Forest. This tract is north of the forest’s Arbuckle Tract.
The Frostproof Chamber of Commerce can provide additional information about the area.