Lake Alfred was founded by snowbirds escaping the cold of North Dakota, and visitors are welcomed in this small town surrounded by gently rolling hills and agriculture.
Lake Alfred’s abundant citrus and peach trees are pleasing to the eye. The city’s small-town feel makes it a great day-trip destination. Whether you’re looking to shop, eat, fish or hike, Lake Alfred has unique offerings for everyone.
Our 15 Favorite Things To Do in Lake Alfred
- Decide to redecorate your living room and head over to Tela’s Fabrics, a high-end fabric shop carrying materials for window treatments, slipcovers and other furniture.
- Have lunch with your favorite ladies at Lavender and Lace Tearoom.
- Learn about different galaxies, plants and observable constellations during Astronomy Night at the Mackay Gardens and Lakeside Preserve.
- Take a hike through the Hilochee Wildlife Management Area and keep an eye out for Bald Eagles, kingfishers, deer, fox and alligators.
- Shop for antiques at Biggar’s Antiques, Boone Antique Furniture Sales, and Potpourri Antiques & Molly’s Paperie.
- Have a picnic lunch and fish from the dock at Lake Swoope Park.
- Shop for antique tackle and other gifts at Ron’s Tackle Box.
- Tour the historic Mackay home at Mackay Gardens and Lakeside Preserve.
- Feast on raw oysters and conch fritters at Gary’s Oyster Bar & Seafood House.
- Make reservations at Luigi’s Famous Pizza and Pasta and surprise your significant other with a romantic evening out.
- Attend a master gardener workshop on the first Thursday of each month at Mackay Gardens and Lakeside Preserve.
- Meet your mom or best friend for lunch at The Back Porch and then shop at The Stable, The Season’s, The Back Yard and The Barn.
- Shop for Florida friendly landscaping plants at the Polk Training Center for Handicapped Citizens. You’ll be supporting an organization that enriches the lives of adults with developmental disabilities.
- Taste a signature dessert that has been featured on Food Network’s Epicurus at Lang’s Taste of Florida Café… grapefruit pie.
- Pack up your kids and head to Lions Park where you can play volleyball, fish from the pier, and walk along the beach.
The Lake Alfred Chamber of Commerce can provide additional information about the area.