Polk City is the only community completely contained within the Green Swamp, which supports almost forty percent of Florida’s native vertebrate wildlife (except salt-water fish, of course).
The Green Swamp ecosystem has few intrusions from the industrialized world leaving the habitat truly natural and undisturbed. The diverse vegetation allows for an abundant wildlife community, including Bald Eagles, Whitetail Deer, the Florida Panther, Fox Squirrels and of course alligators and snakes.
Polk City is also the home of Fantasy of Flight, owned by Kermit Weeks who is a lifelong aviation enthusiast. The attraction (open seasonally from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Friday – Sunday) is home to the world’s greatest collection of vintage aircraft, representing all eras of aviation from early flight to the 1950’s. The entire collection is not on display at one time, rotating on a regular basis.
Our Top 6 Things To Do in Polk City
- Grab a fishing pole and head to the pier. Polk City’s fishing pier is located at Lakeshore Drive and Lakeshore Court. Bring a picnic lunch and your camera. Lake Agnes is beautiful.
- Explore the Green Swamp ecosystem on the General James A. Van Fleet State Trail, one of Florida’s most rural, paved rail-trails. Walkers, runners and cyclists are welcome.
- Learn to ski, wakeboard, or barefoot ski from some of the best in the industry at Ski Fluid.
- Attend the largest paintball event on Earth, the PSP World Cup at Fantasy of Flight. This annual event is held each October and is open to the public.
- Tour the AWSEF Water Ski Hall of Fame and find out why Central Florida is often called The Water Ski Capital of the World.
- Float effortlessly above the cypress swamps, lakes and citrus groves in a hot air balloon during a sunrise flight with Balloons & Beyond.