More than 80% of Polk County’s 7,000 vacation rental homes are located in Davenport, because most of the homes are less than ten miles away from Walt Disney World. But Davenport is more than Disney’s backyard, we promise.
Located at Interstate 4 and Hwy 27, Davenport has almost everything you could need during your Central Florida vacation, especially quick access to restaurants, shopping and attractions. You’ll be free to Choose Everything!
Our Top 15 Things to Do in Davenport
- Stop by our Visitor Information Center to buy Central Florida attraction tickets and speak with our very knowledgeable staff to find out all there is to see and do in Polk County.
- Reward yourself after a long day, or surprise your friends and family with cupcakes and ice cream from Sh-Booms Ice Cream & Sweet Treats.
- Hang glide 2,000 feet over Central Florida at Wallaby Ranch. Al Roker from NBC’s Today Show did it, so you should too! Matt Lauer even visited too, though we don’t have video of that.
- Play golf at Ridgewood Lakes Golf Club with a few of your favorite people and then enjoy a hamburger and beer at the 13th hole, Champions Grill.
- Get a box (or five) of souvenirs at Webb’s Candy Shop and Factory. By souvenirs we mean citrus candy, goat’s milk fudge, hand dipped chocolates and peanut brittle. Yes you can, and will want to, buy some or all of these sweet treats by the box or basket. Webb’s will even let you have free samples.
- Get outside and enjoy our wide open spaces from the Davenport trailhead of Hilochee Wildlife Management Area. Both the East Trail and Corridor Trail are accessible from Home Run Boulevard. You may see Bald Eagle, kingfishers and hummingbirds, rabbit and wild hogs during your hike.
- Enjoy a cheese, spinach and mushroom brick oven pizza at True Blue Winery as you sip on one of their nine original wines. They also serve an AMAZING chicken salad plate.
- On a rainy day, take in a movie at the Cinépolis Polk County IMAX, a 9-screen upscale theater at Posner Park. Upscale means they have reserve seating, gourmet snacks and a full bar.
- Play tennis, racquetball, get your run in, or just take walk at Northeast Regional Park. The 83-acre park also has a huge playground for kids, and six turf fields used for soccer and lacrosse tournaments.
- Take a timeout from eating like a local and eat like Brit! The Fish & Chip Shop and Proper Pie Company serve up authentic English cuisine. Steak and Guinness Pie anyone?
- Enjoy traditional Afternoon Tea at The Hotel Tea Room and then buy yourself, or someone you love, a flower or two at The Flower Corner.
- Have dinner with an Original Highwaymen during Davenport’s annual Highwaymen Weekend Extravaganza in March. During the early 1950’s and through the 1980’s a group of 26 African-American artists known as the “Florida Highwaymen” used vivid and bright colors to display the beautiful untouched Florida landscape. The creativity and talent of these artists has made them famous for their idyllic landscapes of rural Florida and they were inducted into the Florida Artists Hall of Fame in 2004.
- Get carried away in a one-hour hot air balloon sunrise adventure with Orlando Balloon Rides.
- Find out why Ovation Bistro and Bar is TripAdvisor’s #1 Causal Dining Restaurant in Davenport. Could it be the BBQ Brisket, Lobster Mac & Cheese or the Salted Caramel Cheesecake? You’ll have to find out for yourself.
- In the mood to shop? You’ll find Target, JC Penny, ROSS Dress for Less, Dick’s Sports Goods, Books-A-Million and more Posner Park, an open air shopping mall just south of Interstate 4.
The City of Davenport can provide additional information about the area.